Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1940 »

University High School

Vital Statistics






Assenmacher Construction Co.



Also Known As:

Teachers College High School; Henzlik Hall

University High School was the final location of the Teacher's College training schools run by the University. Originally housed in The Temple basement in 1908 when the Teachers College was formed, the student-teacher practice teaching program then moved to the new Teachers College building when it opened in 1920. Known for its first decade as Temple High, then as Teachers College High School, it was finally renamed University High School when the new facility opened in 1955.

University High School was funded in 1953 and was located on newly purchased land in the northeast section of the growing campus. Situated at the intersection of 15th and Vine in a former residential area, then new High School represented a leap forward for the teacher training program. Elementary practice teaching was conducted until the early 1960s at Bancroft School, located near the new High School location. It was considered necessary for the Teachers College to have a practice schools since neighboring institutions offered similar programs.

The University High School was designed by Leo A Daly Company of Omaha. It was designed as a high school rather than an academic building for a university. It contained both junior and senior high school facilities, and accommodated over 200 students. Space in the Teachers College building had been inadequate for years, and the new facility provided students with an expanded array of programs. A large auditorium with a theater, a modern library, expanded industrial arts and home economics equipment, improved laboratory space for science classes, rehearsal and recital rooms in the music department, and a kiln in the art department were some of the amenities lacking in the old school building. Athletics also played a part in the extracurricular activities at University High.

In 1967 University High was closed at the end of the summer session. The facility was renamed Henzlik Hall in honor of former Teachers College Dean Frank Henzlik. The building was converted to office and instructional space for Teachers College.

Source Information:
Bd of Regents minutes, 1954. Sawyer, MacLaran. Centennial History of the U of N, II. 1920-1969