Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1896 »

Agriculture Experiment Station Building

Vital Statistics






Stephens Bros. Co.



Also Known As:

Agricultural Communications

Built in 1899, the Agriculture Experiment Station is the oldest building on the East Campus. The building is constructed of red brick, with gray sandstone sills and keystones, limestone steps and sills, and a gray slate roof. The building was designed by Lincoln architects Roberts & Woods, and was constructed by the Stephens Brothers Company at a cost of $27,500.
Originally the building's first floor housed Experiment Station offices, with upper levels used for classroom and laboratory space. At the time the building was occupied, several other departments were also housed in the building including the Department of Agricultural Chemistry, a soil laboratory, entomology laboratory, and horticultural workrooms and greenhouses. The Station library, which had been entrusted to the care of the University Librarian, was housed in the building, greatly enhancing the collections of the University Library. Connected to the building at the time of construction was a greenhouse that extended to the south.
Now known as Agricultural Communications, this building represents the only 19th Century structure on the East Campus. The Agricultural Experiment Station is the first and oldest building on what has come to be known as the East Campus Mall.
The building was renovated in 1959 at a cost of $103,000. An elevator addition was added in 2000.

Source Information:
Archives and Special Collections, UNL Libraries