Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1896 »

Dairy Building

Vital Statistics






R. J. Gaddis



Also Known As:

Rural Economics Hall, Poultry Husbandry Hall, Agricultural Administration Annex

The Dairy Building was the first educational building erected on the farm campus. Begun in 1896, probably as a frame structure, this building was completed in brick and approved by the Board of Regents in December, 1897. Originally this building was used by the Dairy School and contained modern automated dairying equipment. The Dairy Building was situated near Holdrege, south of the current Food Science and Technology Building, to facilitate transportation of dairy products without having to cross barnyards and fields. When Dairy Industry Hall (now Filley Hall) was constructed in 1916, the Dairy Building became the home of the Rural Economics Department, the Poultry Husbandry Department, the Dept. of Information, and eventually was renamed Agriculture Administration Annex. The building fell into disrepair and was razed in 1973. There is no longer a building on the site.

Source Information:
Frolik, Graham, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Agriculture : the first century; University Archives Building and Grounds files, 13th Biennial rpt of the Bd of Regents; Minutes,U of Nebraska Board of Regents, Dec 1897.