Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1915 »

College Activities Building

Vital Statistics






Bickel Construction Co., Lincoln



Also Known As:

East Campus Activities Building; Student Activities Building

The College Activities Building was constructed in 1926 to provide space on the farm campus for Physical Education instruction and a gymnasium. The large open space on the second level was used for other large gatherings, as well as basketball games and dances.
The lower level was used for an assortment of activities, eventually becoming the "temporary" student union in 1946. The temporary union lasted for thirty years, until the East Campus Union opened in 1977. The lower level was then converted to use as a campus recreational facility.

Meginnis and Schaumberg were retained to design the College Activities Building in 1926. The exterior of the building is ornamented with decorative eaves and brackets, and large, elaborate Palladian windows.

Source Information:
Archives and Special Collections, UNL Libraries