Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1915 »

Dairy Industry Building (Filley)

Vital Statistics






F. P. Gould



Also Known As:

Filley Hall, Food Science and Technology

The Dairy Industry Building was designed and constructed beginning in 1915, with the new building occupied in 1916. Developed as part of the farm and city campus expansions that occurred after 1914, Dairy Industry represents one of three farm campus buildings designed by Coolidge & Hodgdon, the "official architects of the University" (see Historic Overview). The location east of the Mall was selected because of its proximity to the original dairy barn and easy access to Holdrege street.

Like the other Coolidge & Hodgdon buildings designed during this era, Dairy Industry is classical in detail, with a simple and symmetrical form. Executed in the buff brick used for nearly all significant buildings on the farm campus in the early 20th century, it is ornamented with decorative paired eave brackets and an elaborate terra cotta entryway on the west.

Dairy Industry was renamed H. C. Filley Hall in 1972. In the 1980's a very large addition designed by Leo A. Daly Co. was added to the east side of the building. The Dairy Store, a favorite local ice cream spot, was relocated into the new facility from its location in the original structure.

Source Information:
Source: UofN BofR minutes, 1915; University Archives, Building and Grounds files. Frolik, Graham, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Agriculture : the first century