Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1915 »

Beef Cattle Barn

Vital Statistics








Also Known As:

The Beef Cattle Barn was built in 1923 to house show cattle, experimental animals, the breeding herd, and instructional animals. It was located at the north end of 39th street at Fair street.

The barn was a very large, two story timber structure that included far more than simple animal stalls. Also included were offices, sleeping rooms for students on the second floor, a locker room and bath, an elevator, and a room for mixing and grinding feed. Living quarters were simple and cheap, and included free milk.

In 1970 the herd was moved to the University Field Lab at Mead,and pigs were housed in the barn. It was razed in 1984 to make way for the very large Animal Science Complex.

Source Information:
Lincoln Journal Oct 1, 1984. Frolik and Graham.