Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1940 »

Schulte Field House

Vital Statistics






Francis Orshek



Also Known As:

Fieldhouse; Henry F Schulte Memorial Field House

Although the University had a fine new stadium for football, it still lacked facilities for indoor practices, locker rooms, and showers. In the early 1930s, the NU Athletic Board committed to building a new facility to fill this need, and agreed that the best location for such a building would be at the north end of the stadium. Unfortunately, the area immediately north of the Stadium did not yet belong to the University. It was filled with small houses and city streets. The Great Depression was in full swing. For the next several years the University Athletic Board worked at acquiring land in this adjoining neighborhood as money allowed. Luckily, the Athletic Board realized a large profit when the Cornhusker football team traveled to Pittsburg in 1937. Loyal fans filled the stands at Pitt Stadium and although the team lost the game, the University profited greatly and work on the Field House began in earnest.

The Athletic Board selected Latenser and Sons, co-designers of Memorial Stadium, to design the Field House. Construction began in 1942, but was immediately slowed by shortages during WWII. Construction began again in 1947, and finally, in 1949, the Field House was completed. It was named in honor of Henry F. Schulte, track coach from 1919-1938, and head football coach in 1919 and 1920. He served as assistant football coach as well, from 1922-1927.

The Schulte Field House served the athletic programs of the University until 2004, when it was razed to make way for the new Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex. Generations of Nebraska fans remember the giant clock on the face of the Field House.

Source Information:
Athletic Board Moves Ahead, by RD Scott. Nebraska Alumnus, Jan. 1965; NU Athletic Dept. website.