Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL East Campus 1896 »

Machinery Hall

Vital Statistics








Also Known As:

Chemurgy; Stores; Old Machinery Hall

Few buildings served as many purposes as Machinery Hall, which was constructed in 1905 to serve as a sort of shop for Farm Mechanics classes. Designed by L. W. Chase, head of the Farm Mechanics program, and Building Superintendent Charles Chowins, this simple structure served as everything from classroom and shop to a gymnasium and meat laboratory. In the 1950's it served as home of the newly emerging Chemurgy program, the forerunner to modern Ethanol.

Machinery Hall was constructed of red brick and was two stories, with an open one level wing on the rear of the building. It was located east of Plant Industry, on the southwest corner of the current East Campus Union site. It was razed in 1964.

Source Information:
University Archives