home
Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

Meginnis & Schaumberg

Architects

Meginnis and Schaumberg was a Lincoln architecture firm that practiced from 1925 until Meginnisís death in 1943. Meginnis and Schaumberg designed three buildings on the East Campus, as well as the Mueller Tower on City Campus.

Harry Meginnis was not formally trained as an architect, but learned the profession as an apprentice and working with his father in the construction business. Prior to 1901, Meginnis worked for Fiske and Dieman in their Cedar Rapids Iowa office. Fiske, who was based in Lincoln, hired Meginnis to serve as a draftsman in the Lincoln office from 1901 until 1907 when Meginnis went to Indianapolis and worked for several years. Eventually the partnership of Fiske and Meginnis was formed in 1915 and during the next decade the firm produced many important Lincoln buildings, most notably Prescott, Irving, Whittier, Clinton, and Elliot schools.

In 1924 Fiske and Meginnis took on Edward G. Schaumberg as a partner, and after 1925 the firm became Meginnis and Schaumberg. Meginnis and Schaumberg continued to practice until 1943. They designed several significant commercial buildings in Lincoln including the Federal Trust Building at 13th and N, and an art deco remodeling of the Lincoln Liberty Life Insurance Building at 11th and O.

Source Information:
Who's who in Ne, 1940.