Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

John Latenser And Sons


John Latenser Sr (1858-1936) was an Omaha architect who founded an architectural firm there in 1886. Originally from Liechtenstein, Latenser came from a family of architects. He studied architecture in Germany, and worked as a draftsman in Chicago, before arriving in Omaha. After 1912 his firm expanded to include his sons Frank and John Jr.

Latenser's firm built many important early Omaha buildings, including Central High School and numerous other Omaha schools, the Douglas County Courthouse, and the J. L. Brandeis building. His work for the University included the design of the Temple building in 1905, a nursing dormitory at the Medical School in 1921, and later, the firm partnered with Davis and Wilson to design Memorial Stadium in 1922. The firm also designed the Schulte Field House in 1942.

Source Information:
Gerber, Kristine and Jeffrey Spencer. Building for the Ages: Omaha's architectural landmarks. 2001.