Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

J. H. W. Hawkins


Related Buildings

Nebraska Hall (Old)

J. H. W. Hawkins (1855-19230) was one of early Lincoln's few academically trained architects, graduating from Cornell University in 1877. He arrived in Lincoln during the financial and building boom of 1887 and worked there until 1893, when the economic climate caused many early architects to seek work elsewhere. While in Lincoln, Hawkins designed several impressive structures and appears to have been very successful at finding work. In addition to designing old Nebraska Hall at the University of Nebraska, he also designed the Rollo Phillips Castle at 1845 D street, the original First Baptist Church at 14th and K (lost in a fire), and several large houses, now mostly demolished.

Hawkins went on to a successful career in Wilkes Barre PA, and later, in Jacksonville FL.

Source Information:
Preservation Association of Lincoln Brown bag lecture series, The Brief and Brilliant History of JHW Hawkins, by Ed Zimmer. January 9, 2001.