Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

Roberts & Woods


Artemus Roberts (1841-1944) came to Lincoln in 1870 after graduating from the University of Michigan. He established an architectural practice at 8th and P and proceeded to design and build many early Lincoln buildings. His most important commission was Fairview, the home of William Jennings Bryan. Important demolished buildings include Herpolsheimer's department store, the original Lincoln High School building, and the A. J. Sawyer house, a large and elaborate Victorian mansion located at 17th and F.
Roberts worked independently and with partners, including a partnership with Alfred Woods from 1890-1903.
Alfred W. Woods (1857-1942) was known primarily as a church builder, and was responsible for over a dozen churches in Lincoln, as well as many others in neighboring states.

Source Information:
Obituary, Lincoln Star, May 8, 1944 (Roberts) and Lincoln Star, Dec 29, 1942 (Woods); Historical and Architectural Site Survey, Roberts, p 38, Woods, p 40.