Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1910 »

Ellen Smith Hall

Vital Statistics







Also Known As:

Ellen Smith Hall, located on the northwest corner of 14th and R, was purchased by the University in 1920 for use as a women's building. Amanda Heppner, Dean of Women, had her office in the house where she oversaw use of its rooms for womens' club meetings, teas, and other social activities. Women alumnae from Lincoln formally requested that the Board of Regents name the house Ellen Smith Hall, in honor of the University's former registrar.

An example of the Queen Anne style executed in brick, this substantial house was originally constructed in 1888 for Frank Sheldon, a wealthy Lincoln entreprenuer. The house contained numerous elaborate stained glass windows, richly carved woodwork and balconies, mosaic tile floors, and numerous fireplaces.

After completion of the second Administration Building, the University took steps to have the building razed. The new Administration building came within a few feet of the north side of the old house, and obscured the view of the new building from R street. Despite considerable public protest and expressions of sentiment Ellen Smith Hall was demolished in 1958.

Source Information:
Press release, Nebraska Internaitonal Women\'s Year-1975, Hall of Fame; Knoll, p. 61 (taken from the University Journal, 15, 5 (Jan. 1919): 7. Also B & G files.