Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1940 »

Bancroft Hall

Vital Statistics






F.P. Gould



Also Known As:

Bancroft School

Bancroft School was originally designed as a Junior High School and Pre-Vocational School by Berlinghof and Davis. The cornerstone for Bancroft was laid in June, 1913, and the building was dedicated in December, 1915. Included in the contract for the Lincoln High School building, Bancroft served the neighborhoods near city campus which were eventually removed as the campus expanded to the north and east. The building continued to be used as a laboratory school for elementary teacher training after the University purchased it in 1941 for $77,000. Engineering Mechanics was housed in the 1941 wing located on the east end of the original structure.

Bancroft Hall was located on U street, east of 14th. The two story building was constructed of yellow brick with limestone balustrades and arched entryways. The building had two entries with staircases, and a below grade courtyard. A large bay on the first level housed the kindergarten, and contained a large fireplace. The original school also housed locker rooms, a shop, a cooking laboratory, a gymnasium, and numerous classrooms.

Bancroft Hall was demolished in 2000 due to its proximity to the newly constructed Kaufman Center.

Source Information:
L M Sawyer, History of the University of Neb.; Historical and Architectural Site Survey, Davis, ; McKee, Jim, Lincoln a photographic history (Partners in Progress, DSFD)