Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1910 »

Raymond Hall

Vital Statistics






Ernest Rokahr & Sons



Also Known As:

Neihardt Residential Center; Love Hall; Heppner Hall; Piper Hall; International House

In the fall of 1932, the University dedicated Carrie Belle Raymond Hall, its first dormitory, located at 16th and S streets. For many years the University had hoped to provide housing for students, particularly coeds, but was unable to secure funding. Competition for state appropriated funds during the University expansion years was fierce; pressing needs within academic units could not be ignored. Consequently, the problem of housing young women remained unaddressed.

By the 1920s, the Greek societies were an established part of University life; construction of fraternities and sororities surged after the University allocated a segment of newly acquired University property for Greek houses. But the fact remained that only about 1 in every 4 girls lived in a sorority house. Others were left to fend for themselves and as the downtown grew, the boarding houses that once served students began to disappear.

At the time Raymond Hall was constructed the University created the University Dormitory Corporation, a non-profit corporation. While a portion of the dormitory was paid for with state funds, the remainder was paid for through bonds which were then paid off with dormitory earnings. This model has continued as a means to finance dormitories on the University campus.

Davis and Wilson were hired to design the dormitory. Davis had already worked on the athletic facilities, and also on Morrill Hall and Andrews Hall. Like his earlier buildings, he utilized red brick and limestone trim. Every effort was made to incorporate elegant details into the women's dormitory. The two story entrance porticos had tall wooden columns and ornamental railings. These railings were continued on the roof crest, which was finished with a cupola. Parlors and enclosed porches were lit by large arched windows, and upper level windows were ornamented with shutters. The dormitory was designed to serve as the center for two planned wings extending to the north and south. In 1940, the Love and Heppner wings were added on the north and were architecturally consistent. In 1956, an incongruous modern wing, Piper Hall, was added on the south.

At the time Raymond Hall opened in 1932 cost for one semester in a double room was $60. An additional fee of $26 per month was charged for board. The original facility housed 170 women. When the additions were added, the dormitory housed 600 students.

Originally, the dormitory was named in honor of Carrie Belle Raymond, a popular music professor who had served the University for more than 30 years. The 1940 wings were named for Amanda Heppner, the recently retired Dean of Women, and for Julia Love, late wife of Don L Love, mayor of Lincoln and University benefactor. The 1956 wing was named for Elsie Piper, retired Associate Dean of Women, who championed good housing for young women at the University. Together these wings were called the Women's Residence Halls for 40 years. In 1973, at the request of students living in the halls, the name was changed to reflect the fact that men also lived in the dormitories as members of the Centennial Education program, and the International House. John G. Neihardt Residential Center was the name selected for the dormitories.

Source Information:
University Archives; Nebraska Alumnus, Sept. 1932.