Tour City Campus Tour East Campus Search

UNL City Campus 1869 »

Chemistry Laboratory (Old)

Vital Statistics








Also Known As:

Pharmacy Hall

Ground breaking for the Chemistry Laboratory, the second building on the original campus, was conducted in the spring of 1885. That summer, Professor H.H. Nicholson, first department head for the Chemistry department, traveled to Europe to select equipment and supplies to be used in the new laboratory. By early winter, construction was complete and the Chemistry Lab was dedicated in December, 1885.

The Chemistry Laboratory was located at the southeast corner of the original campus at the current site of the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery, on the northwest corner of 12th and R streets. It was constructed of red brick, with rough cut limestone used for the foundation, arched doorways, entry stairs, and decorative horizontal bands. Facing south, the Chemistry Lab had a distinctive tower over the front entrance.

By 1905 enrollment of students taking chemistry had swelled to nearly 500. The building was renovated and continued to house chemistry classes until the completion of the new Chemical Laboratory (now Avery Hall) in 1919. It was renamed Pharmacy Hall and housed the relatively new College of Pharmacy after 1919. The Chemistry Laboratory was razed in 1963 to make room for the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery.

Source Information:
Archives and Special Collections, UNL Libraries